Called the “Bimare” because it is surrounded by two wonderfull bays, Sestri Levante has inspired poets and writers of all ages.
To the West there is the “Baia delle Favole” to which the fairy tale author Hans Cristian Andersen gave his name; in fact, he stayed there in 1833 and the homonymous Prize for Literature for children was dedicated to him. The review of the “Andersen Prize” every year invades the city streets between May and June.
On the opposite side you can see the “Baia del Silenzio” with its beach framed by pastel colored houses which is one of the most suggestive corners of the town.
Between the two inlets rise the Palazzo Durazzo-Pallavicini, municipal seat, the pronaos of the Basilica of Santa Maria di Nazareth and towards the promontory are the Oratorio of Santa Caterina and the Church of San Nicolò.
To the East extends the promontory of Punta Manara, behind which stands the town of Riva Trigoso, a hamlet of Sestri, a small fishing village and ax masters, builders of the leudi, the typical sailing boats with which the rivans pushed along the Mediterranean routes for the transport of oil, wine and cheese.